View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Visit our sponsor

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 speeding-g60 25.1g tube chassis Audi project 
Jr Dragster Poster

i have been working all year on a new chassis since my awd one is just ok, not fast enough for me.

stepping up some, and started a 25.1 chromoly tube chassis RWD car using an Audi Coupe Quattro body and a 4 cyl 2.0L 20v stroker motor. the goal is 7.80's.....

i gutted the car, and it is at a local chassis shop, Vanderbeck Race Cars. he builds some of the areas fastest cars..... funny cars, Top Sportsman, ProMod, dragsters, etc. I am so far doing all of the coping and tube work, but he is welding it and/or tacking it. he tells me what to cut/cope, and i do and then move on to the next step.

here is a few pictures so far of the progress. i do not plan to have this car up this season, i still am running the 9.30's / 167 mph AWD Coupe Quattro all wheel drive this season. i figured i just got the chassis cert'd again this past July, and this new car will not be up this year so dont take apart the running car. besides, there really isnt anything off the now car i need for the new car. and it was a lot of work to go backwards and be down all year anyways. this process started out as a backhalf/4-link, then a 3/4 chassis car, and then i just said fuck it, if i am gonna go i may as well go all out and am just doing the full chassis car. Advanced ET or Super Pro class i think is what i want to run.

i do have my own website with MANY pictures and daily updates.... check it out: http://www.speeding-g60.com and it has its own dedicated page for this chassis, as well. http://speeding-g60.com/?page_id=1081 and the daily updates are located here: http://speeding-g60.com/?page_id=282

but it will start out with a 315/60-15 (30 x 13.50) on a 12" rear wheel, and eventually go to a 32 x 14 on a 14" or maybe even 33 x 10.5W on a 14".

and starting to collect my cool car parts. Chassis kit is Art Morrison Supercar kit for a Monza. all Strange suspension and brakes.

Last edited by speeding-g60 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:54 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

it is fun learning to do this stuff. i am a little bit further on now.

got a 3rd member for it. 4.30 lightened Pro gear, 40 spline lightened steel spool, Strange aluminum case, pinion support and yoke keeper loop thing, forged pinion.

and got the driver funny car cage portion done as well.

got the seat test fitted and more X-braces done. built the double rails for the tunnel and moving forward.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:56 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

built a narrowed 9" and started on the front struts.

started the fronts.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:57 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

Pinto rack in and done, tie rods made, rack mounts built, diagonals in. also got the body all mounted to the cage, and played around with an empty motor just looking at things, seeing how its going to look in there.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:58 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

and played a little with an empty block/head to see how things look. the front plate is lexan just to make it easy to mess around with, once i get the exact location and what i want i will transfer it to aluminum and make the actual plate. stock intake manifold, again to visualize location and interference issues. i have an intake that is a stock replacement in mind, but it may not actually work out ideally for this setup. we will see.

but DAMN there is a lot of room in there. i think if the 4 cylinder doesnt do what i want it to do (and it should) or i get the yearning for more (we NEVER do that do we? haha) i will entertain the idea of an Audi 40v 4.2L V8 motor with twin turbos in its place. keep it Audi/Volkswagen at least for the motor, be different, whatever.

done a shit load more work, not in this order. this is the latest.

needed some room for tires. so i stretched the rear wheel arches 4" towards the front. the front end will be stretched completely (hood, fenders, etc ) the same 4".

done all of this myself with some pretty good guidance from an excellent chassis builder.

testing a 32" x 14" wide on a 14" wide wheel as this is the size i will probably run when i learn to drive this thing.

both sides done and cut. only driver side reassembled.

putting 3/4" backing strip in so we have something to weld to. sheared all of these strips. and the complicated section at the body moulding area, i used factory material there and split it .

hand formed the filler plate.

as he tacks these spots, he pulls the body work out and then tacks it. to keep its shape and prevent warpage. its not completed yet but it is visually good for clearance. and this is the wheel/tire i will use for the street. 315/60-15 on a 12" wide wheel, aka 30 tall by 13 wide. these are my training wheels so to speak. and YES it will be titled and reg'd and streetable.

then a trial fit with the side skirts. gonna be sorta low there :o

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:59 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

test fitted some engine stuff, like turbo and cell and stuff. made engine front and mid plates, and the front end is now welded out.

sighting the mainline to pinion center.

welding the front out (not me)

made the trans mount. also serves as a thrust block of sorts.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:00 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

set up the turbo for manifold building.

then i put the front hubs and stuff together for good.

worked on center rail supports and mounting the seat.

and the sexy little axles came in after about 6 weeks?

Strange 40 spline, rifle drilled, flange lightened and profile milled. i cant believe that was all only $725 shipped!!!!

put the axles together, popped them in the car (on the wrong sides of course, i dont know this shit!) and got the car off the jig to take it to our show/race this weekend to let people see it, rep a couple sponsors, that sort of thing.

also put the new motor in the AWD chassis, and put it on the dyno to break it in. turned the boost down ~10 psi (from >47 psi back to 38) and made right at the same power as before, almost 760 awhp and a little more torque at right at 570 ft lbs.

i just had shoulder surgery so i cant drive, but i have a buddy who will drive for me this sunday. my son is hyped about the car as well.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:02 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

I like it naked too. Time to weld this thing out. :o

version one was very unhappy that it finally got to meet its replacement at the show sunday. i spent a good amount of time and money building a motor JUST to run this one single day this year in support of those who support me. my car is one of their booth cars and the fastest/quickest (usually sans breakage that is) car at the show. but as such, it attempted suicide by trying to eat the wall directly off the line. my driver (i am out this year from shoulder surgery) is a damned good driver, much better than i am i say, and he kept it off the wall. rear diff blew up, took off the top of the housing and spit part of a spider gear.

he did good, kept it off the wall. we got this one single launch and that is ALL for the entire year. bummer, too, cuz we also missed out on 8 pure silver dollars and a few hundo in cash along with trophys and crown. next time.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:08 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

some brake stuff and steering.

A mole trap shot.

Now we should be all caught up to the "now".

Worked on it over the last few weekends..... finished building my gas pedal. Started tin work with cardboard templates then actual tin. Driver side is steel welded in and pass side is aluminum dzus tabbed removable.

Was about to weld in the driver side but needed to make the drive shaft loop and enclosure stuff first.

And tin work.

And transferred to steel.

And tunnel work.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:09 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

so that is basically all years work on the car. i hope you guys like it :)

i dont understand Spanish language very well so i hope if you comment i can read it :sad:

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:10 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

that looks awsome :embotellado: cant wait too :shock: more.
:embotellado: :embotellado: :embotellado: :embotellado:

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:01 am

Excellent and Diferent Great Project :cool:

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

Drive shaft enclosure in chromoly done. Modular and removable top and bottom pieces. Welded in the first three pieces of tin. Put some bracing for weight bearing where driver feet go getting Into the car. Started the driver floor. Put center belt tab in.

Well it's sunday so Saturdays update.

Finished the driver side floor. Welded down. It's the only side that has to be steel the rest is aluminum and removable. Also made some little pieces to fill some triangulation braces. Little details. ....

Also helped some with this 60 Vette. Blown big block on E85. Headrest for cage.

Car sounds mean!!!!!

also, got injectors finally and got the awd car up and running. its about ready for next year! next it goes into the trailer and the Rado project and the Rabbit move inside for good.

Last edited by speeding-g60 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:20 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

spent the holiday installing a new hot tub. poured the concrete on Xmas, by hand, by myself as the wife and son went to her family place.

so i didnt get much done around here. just a little more tin work. i only get down there on saturdays to do work on it anymore since i moved away from the shop.

Had a friend pull a mould from my awd chassis' S2 rear bumper and build me a couple. Shaved the exhaust port as it is not needed.

Back on tin.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:21 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

More work done. This is a lot of detail work. No wonder he said the average tube chassis car takes 7 grand for just this sheetmetal and tin work.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:43 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

Tunnel is officially completed now on to the rear of the hoop.

More tin work today. Tunnel is officially FINISHED! !!
On to the rear part aft of the hoop now. Made some ledges for the tin to bolt to and support inner and outer tin while also giving flanges for the tubs to bolt to.
Pulled the drive shaft enclosure to mark holes for dzus tab it comes out relatively quickly. I think I can have the passenger side and tunnel opened up in well under a minute. All panels pulled wide open work space.

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:10 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

todays work.

Starting to look like a car now.

Has a firewall now and all.

And now cleaning up some dash sheetmetal in prep for tin.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:24 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

So the turbo arrived. And it's not small.

GTX 4508R. 80mm.

Will use nitrous to get it spooled up on to the transbrake. Maybe a 250 shot for 1 second or a little more.

A fair bit larger than the BORG Warner 67mm billet I use now on the AWD car.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:41 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:42 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

made the lower windshield support today. 1/2" chromoly. started the tin for it also.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:14 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

More dash work.

Then started closing up the a - pillars mess so I have a stable surface to make the tin here have good attachment points.

Some friends wanted to compare the Precision 7675 to the Garrett GTX4508R.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:27 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

little turbo comparo then firewall and dash to cage and a-pillar of car sealup work. Tin Tin Tin. when will it end???

stretcher and shrinker tools are neat. easy to go too far, too. but they are cool for sure.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:00 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

Work on my project was to finish the passenger side firewall to body tin. Pull the body up to weld out filler plate. And work on rocker panel to chassis tin. Also made some supports for the lower windshield framework.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:02 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

this chassis is good to better than 7.49 seconds. so basically whatever i can muster out of it i will be legal for.

notice the bars and structural work included in the kit. and then compare to the work i have done, building much more strength and support into the chassis.

then mine. we took what they made, and made many modifications to it. dual rails, upper rear Pro-Mod halo, etc. many X-braced sections. on and on.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:03 pm
Jr Dragster Poster

40" tub time. i mentioned that i wished i could just get it close with the cardboard, fiberglass the cardboard, and then pull the moulds (cardboard) and call it done. rolled his eyes did he and just chuckled.

forming those tubs is a chore in itself, that Pittsburgh lap seam sucks. lots of little banging and tin knocking with the little hammers.but it turned out perfect as it can be. this guy is very highly detail oriented for sure.

http://www.tpub.com/steelworker2/22.htm

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next